#1 2009-08-16 22:01:10

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Movie Topic 2: Movie Harder

Obviously, you talk about movies here.

I just got back from an early showing of Inglorious Basterds. It was long winded, incredibly silly, but it was glorious. The cinema is the perfect place to see it, so go while you can.

It's nice to see a Tarantino film I can say felt like a proper good film rather than a guilty pleasure. It's also very nice to see a Tarantino film where not all the characters actually talk like Tarantino. While there's some clever meta-movie stuff going on in it, the actual characterization is excellent. A little over the top in places (I'm looking at you, Pitt), but yeah.

Good film. Not a great film, but a damned good one. Just remember, don't expect historical accuracy and don't expect super fast paced action.

#2 2009-08-17 18:17:49

Azz
the barbarian. grrr
Website

Re: Movie Topic 2: Movie Harder

Ooh want to see that. There were posters all over the underground last week, almost inspired me to go into an Actual Cinema. Almost..

Watched Push the night before last. Utter pony.

However last night I watched Frost/Nixon, which was fantastic. Well worth seeing.

http://azz.gouranga.com
est. 1998
(I am oldskoolier than joo)

#3 2009-08-17 22:32:29

JJHW

Officespace, big film...

[center]Ombase.jpg[/center]

Long live the first 20 members! - I'm number 15 *duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhuhuuuhuhuhuhuhhhuuh*

#4 2009-08-20 06:34:25

2na

I watched X-Men origins Wolverine the other night and CHRRRRRRRIISSSSSSSST it was horrible.

I hope you like me and I fit in with your life.

#5 2009-08-20 10:16:25

2na

I’m watching Watchmen right now, about ¼ though, it’s weird but epic. I appreciate the cinematography but don’t really know what’s going on, never did read the source material.

#6 2009-08-22 15:34:54

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

I enjoyed the Watchmen, it wasn't a letdown, but it was still nowhere near a classic.

My main problem with it was not that it was a poor adaptation, more to do with the fact that it was a slave to the source material. The ending didn't really have as much effect on me as the comic ending did, but I'd be the first to admit that the giant squid would've been a bit of a stretch for the average moviegoer, so in a sense, it works really well. Other than that and a few of the more streamlined plot threads, I'd have preferred it if they'd taken more chances with it. I can't deny I didn't like it though. I do admire such a risky high budget adaptation, even if it doesn't quite work, it tried damned hard.

So far this year, Star Trek has been my big DVD must-have. Closely followed by Inglourious Basterds. Might get Terminator: Salvation as well. It wasn't great, but it was passable and I did appreciate the sound design if nothing else.

#7 2009-08-22 19:18:45

Azz
the barbarian. grrr
Website

See this is the only problem with this tesco dvd thing I'm in. I have to wait for things to arrive, still not seen Star Trek. On the plus side I don't have to sit with the unwashed masses and listen to the fuckers eat.

Watched Underworld rise of the lycans the other night. Not particularly impressive, couldn't help feeling let down all the way through that Rhona Mitra just wasn't Kate Beckinsale.

However Michael Sheen was rather good, and very weird how different his role was to the one in Frost Nixon. I'll have to keep an eye out for more of his things.

http://azz.gouranga.com
est. 1998
(I am oldskoolier than joo)

#8 2009-08-23 01:23:04

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Thing I love about Michael Sheen is the way he kind of snowballs from role to role, where people go "Hey, it's that guy who...!" I mean, I'll always remember him as making a pretty good Kenneth Williams in some BBC4 dramatization.

I don't see how you could have reached the third Underworld film without going bonkers. The first film was risible and I got about ten minuites into the second one before going "FUCK OFF" and putting something decent on.

#9 2009-08-23 04:38:02

2na

I ended up liking Watchmen by the end, and I was even ok with it going for as long as it did, usually I don’t understand why EVERY movie these days has to be a 3 hour epic, some movies just don’t call for it.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer