#1 2011-07-27 14:08:15

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Odd Music U-Like

I like 8-Bit things.

Lots of lovely 8-Bit music out there these days. Problem is, finding all the lovely experimental stuff under the horrid Anamamanamanamanguchi bollocks. You know, the cutesy shit that's basically "IT'S LIKE VIDEOGAMES, DO YOU GET IT!?"

Sulumi. Salami.

Chromelodeon fucking rock. Prog rock. With gameboys.

Cheap Dinosaurs. Very good.

Ameer and John found these for me. Ameer even uploaded this. What lovely people. (No, they're bastards.)

Chrome Hoof. Not 8-Bit. Billy got me into these. What a gent. (No, he's a massive bastard.)

#2 2011-07-27 18:36:23

Fragdieb2

Re: Odd Music U-Like

The 8 Bit stuff is quite nice, I also have a sympathy for that. I guess it's the memory of endless joyful hours playing on my friend's C64s when I was a kid.

8-Bit weapon, not that experimental as Mandy's vids, but quite catchy.

Not 8-bit style itsself, but industrial/ebm centering around 8bit games (and dressing up like sad ravers): Eisenfunk

Not computer-related stuff at all, but sticking to the topic of totally odd music: black/doom metal meets psychotic drunken chanting, really great music to keep calm at work:

-temporary placeholder for a new cool signature-

#3 2011-07-27 18:37:15

ameer
cunt smasher!

QV9djMp.jpg

#4 2011-07-27 21:19:48

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Are the Pet Shop Boys seen as a bit obscure in America?

Also, 8-Bit Weapon, bless 'em. I remember those guys when they were doing shabby C64 remixes at remix.kwed.org like I was. Only mine involved a lot more being shit and turning my guitar up as loud as possible turning everything into a distorted mess.

Only found Split Enz recently. Fookin' love 'em.

#5 2011-07-28 16:38:13

ameer
cunt smasher!

Maindrian wrote:

Are the Pet Shop Boys seen as a bit obscure in America?

No, I was just listening to that song at the moment.

QV9djMp.jpg

#6 2011-07-28 18:30:35

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Aimee wrote:

Bonus points if you know where I first heard it - without surfing through the YouTube comments or Google or anything.

Futurama. Episode; Leela's Homeworld. I knew that just by the title without hearing the song. I'm such a godless neeeeeeeeeeeeerd.

(I bet I'm totally fucking wrong.)

Futurama related (It's in one of the movies). Kathy Mcarthy. This was kind of sullied a bit for me when I found out it was a cover of a Daniel Johnston. I fucking hate Daniel Johnston. Or rather, I fucking hate the hip cult of Johnston. Oh well. Good cover, considering the original sounds like a ten year old hammering a keyboard and screaming. Very quiet, crank the volume.

Groening related (he's a massive fan, which got them quite a bit of exposure). Deerhoof. These guys just make me so happy. And their drummer is my favourite drummer ever. Here they are doing a cover of one of my other favourite bands.

That other favourite band. I heartily recommend doing drugs to improve the experience*.

*not really.

#7 2011-07-28 21:13:40

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Face it, I fucking rule.

#8 2011-07-29 00:58:35

JJHW

I only discovered Honey Power recently, I cannot get over the bass sound on Slow, it's got to be one of the best in music ever.

[center]Ombase.jpg[/center]

Long live the first 20 members! - I'm number 15 *duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhuhuuuhuhuhuhuhhhuuh*

#9 2011-07-29 04:21:15

ameer
cunt smasher!

The Pet Shop Boys video was just a lazy joke, now I will actually try to contribute.

Everything I've heard in this thread so far is just tits, so I'm pleased for there to be moar.

Um. I can't find any music I have in mind on YouTube, so I will have to upload it myself. TOMORROW.

QV9djMp.jpg

#10 2011-07-29 04:36:57

2na

I get high and listen to the who, what is this bipbop nonsense!

I hope you like me and I fit in with your life.

#11 2011-07-29 10:37:11

Mr V
THC-303 :.

Maindrian wrote:

I like 8-Bit things.

Same group as the above. This is the only upload i could find of it though.

Last edited by 1388 (2011-07-29 11:37:44)

#12 2011-07-29 13:52:34

ameer
cunt smasher!

Hm. Now I could try to pick out music that I like that I think is good yet obscure, but seeing as how the thread specifies "odd", I will try to find music that I like that is "odd".

The very first thing that came to mind is a band called I Hate You When You're Pregnant. IHYWYP is basically a drum machine, some simple electronic music, a bunch of screaming, and childish humor. I found out about this band from a hipster friend circa 2007. I recall they specifically told me "you wouldn't like it", as if I wasn't hip enough. Well, it turns out I love IHYWYP. That hipster was a bitch anyway.

Now, don't get me wrong, this song sucks ass. It is by all reasonable measure a terrible song. But I still like it.

This next songs comes from my absolute #1 favorite band in the entire world ever, Digital Leather. This is the only band I have ever liked enough to actually go out of my way to see them live. They have a lot of genuinely genuinely awesome music. Rather than trying to pick my favorites, I'll pick a few ones that might be considered odd.

Digital Leather has gone though a few stages. It began as a one-man experiment with a dark electric sound. Then it grew to a full out pseudo-goth-synth band that was very tongue in cheek. This first song comes from that stage- so overly gawf it's comical. The music is very enjoyable. IMO.

This next song is from a slightly later stage in Digital Leather's sound. Instead of playing super goth, they are playing super gay. Yes, it's silly, but hey, I find it very enjoyable. Because this is one of their most novel songs, I didn't have to upload it myself, somebody else already had.

Maindrian wrote:

I like 8-Bit things.

Lots of lovely 8-Bit music out there these days. Problem is, finding all the lovely experimental stuff under the horrid Anamamanamanamanguchi bollocks. You know, the cutesy shit that's basically "IT'S LIKE VIDEOGAMES, DO YOU GET IT!?"

Sulumi. Salami.

Chromelodeon fucking rock. Prog rock. With gameboys.

Cheap Dinosaurs. Very good.

Chrome Hoof. Not 8-Bit. Billy got me into these. What a gent. (No, he's a massive bastard.)

Fragdieb2 wrote:

Not 8-bit style itsself, but industrial/ebm centering around 8bit games (and dressing up like sad ravers): Eisenfunk

I really liked everything I heard above and am going to look into it all.

8bit Weapon, I'd heard them several months back and I really liked some of their songs I heard. Not all of their music was that great, but they did have more than a couple really enjoyable songs.

QV9djMp.jpg

#13 2011-07-29 15:04:13

JJHW

I saw Chrome Hoof last year, they're were great!

[center]Ombase.jpg[/center]

Long live the first 20 members! - I'm number 15 *duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhuhuuuhuhuhuhuhhhuuh*

#14 2011-08-25 01:16:36

Disco3
Website

Right or wrong, I've found myself jamming out to a lot of country lately.

I would like to move out of the city at some point in my life and I do appreciate a good pickup truck and a pretty southern belle.

Unfortunately, I don't always find myself listening to old, classic, "good" country like this:

Garth Brooks - Friends In Low Places'

Sometimes, I find myself listening to new, 'hip' country. It's the equivalent of T-Payne versus the talented 2pac. Like this (which I REALLY REALLY ENJOY, so SHUT UP!):

Brooks & Dunn - 'Hillbilly Deluxe'

Then, sometimes, I find new country songs that have the heart and quality of the first of the genre. These I really enjoy.

Garret Hedlund - 'Chances Are' (this is my favorite of these three)

[center]dwd_badge.png[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/fanofdisco2/tumblr_loachoiUz21qkiaut.png[/IMG]dwd_badge.png[/center]

#15 2011-08-25 01:50:33

ameer
cunt smasher!

Worst post on any forum ever.

QV9djMp.jpg

#16 2011-08-25 01:52:33

ameer
cunt smasher!

REAL COUNTRY

QV9djMp.jpg

#17 2011-08-25 19:45:34

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

I can barely tolerate country music.

Apart from Jason and the Scorchers. They fucking rule.

Anyway, this. Pre-Shitness Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart and I love it.

(Odd coincidence, my favourite band, The Wildhearts has butchered both of these songs. Really badly. To be fair, they were doing a lot of drugs at the time.)

#18 2011-11-04 23:34:19

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

JOHN MAUS MEGAPOST

I like John. He's a bit weird and his live shows consist of him putting on his records and screaming over them. I discovered him through WMFU's blog years ago and he's been a bit of a mainstay in my playlists. Then friends come round and inevitably end up moaning "can you put something else on, that sounds like crap and it's creeping me out".

Then I put this on for the 60th time and that seems to perk everybody up, despite sounding like the most 90's music ever recorded.

#19 2011-11-05 00:00:54

ameer
cunt smasher!

Dude John Maus is great. Never bothered to follow him further than the album Love Is Real though.

Damn this first track I have linked here just makes me want to dance.

QV9djMp.jpg

#20 2011-11-05 00:05:04

ameer
cunt smasher!

Oh this one was good too.

Oh, all this John Maus reminds me: Suicide. Does anybody like Suicide? Suicide is fucking great.

This first one is an oddity, their only real pop song:

This might be their most well known song:

Now this song, when I first heard John Maus's Too Much Money, I could have sworn he was ripping off this Suicide song. I know batshit screaming in the middle of a song isn't a new idea, but the similarity of the screaming is uncanny to me:

QV9djMp.jpg

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer