#26 2013-06-22 21:28:43

Disco3
Website

Re: Fast 6 Review (spoilers)

I've seen Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I saw it forever and a day ago.

I liked it a lot back then, I think, because it was different and gritty - but I had a really hard time following the plot. I think I was also on medication from some oral surgery.

I've tried watching it more recently and I couldn't stand it.

No, I do not want to watch it again.

[center]dwd_badge.png[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/fanofdisco2/tumblr_loachoiUz21qkiaut.png[/IMG]dwd_badge.png[/center]

#27 2013-06-22 21:52:44

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Disco wrote:

but I had a really hard time following the plot. I think I was also on medication from some oral surgery.

That's really quite deliberate though, in much the same way that The Big Lebowski's plot is a lot of convoluted nonsense. To be fair, I can understand not liking it too much, it's stylised to the point of being distracting at times. That said, I think it's very much a Tarantino-esque thing, some people can roll with a style, others find it distracting and smarmy. I love that Shane Black's major movies so far, Kiss Kiss..., Last Boy Scout and Iron Man 3 all have some very similar ideas going on. The Christmas setting, the use of henchmen and thugs as comic foils, heroes being useless with guns, making fun of movie narrative cliches, etc.

What can I say, Shane Black is my Terrence Malick. He only makes a movie once in a blue moon, but I always enjoy them. Plus, he was Hawkins in Predator, that should count for something.

#28 2013-06-23 22:07:01

ameer
cunt smasher!

John didn't like the Big Lebowski. But as we all know, Discofreak is a faggot.

QV9djMp.jpg

#29 2013-06-24 00:09:03

2na

Big Lebowski might be the funniest movie of all time in my humble opinion.

Now even funnier as I’m used to seeing Steve Buscemi play a boss in Boardwalk empire.

'Hey, nice marmot'

I hope you like me and I fit in with your life.

#30 2013-07-05 06:46:15

ameer
cunt smasher!

The verdict is in: camera recorded pirate movies aka cam movies still suck balls garbage. Completely and utterly unwatchable. I downloaded two versions of The Great Gatsby, Hangover III and Man of Steel, and they all look and sound fucking terrible like donkey dicks.

I think that torrent that I thought was a cam movie was actually a DVD screener, and that's why it looked decent.

C'mon, it's 2013, how is pirating still stuck in 1999?

QV9djMp.jpg

#31 2013-07-05 07:35:20

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

The only half decent pirated movie I ever saw was Rob Zombie's Halloween. Where did I get this gem? My dad found it on the pavement. I'm going to guess somebody frisbeed it out of the window in fury. Not that the quality was bad, it was evidently a screener copy or a workprint, what with the "PROPERTY OF DIMENSION FILMS" caption burnt into the lower half of the frame.

The film was fucking dreadful though. Just what the mythos needed, Kiss T-shirts, hillbilly stripper moms and rape.

#32 2013-07-05 14:32:19

deeepthroatgta6

I torrented Hangover III just yesterday and after having a quick peek, I think it's watchable. I surely can avoid the chinese subtitles and enjoy the movie while I'm high. I might end up learning chinese too.

#33 2013-07-05 15:45:43

Disco3
Website

ameer wrote:

C'mon, it's 2013, how is pirating still stuck in 1999?

Because, somehow, people still have to record a movie with a portable camera and not get caught.

But look at the quality of movies after they come out on tape - ten years ago you nor I could get a movie to look half as good as that DVD screener did. And it would also take a week to download.

[center]dwd_badge.png[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/fanofdisco2/tumblr_loachoiUz21qkiaut.png[/IMG]dwd_badge.png[/center]

#34 2013-07-14 11:01:47

2na

I just wait till there on DVD, then download a DVD rip, you only have to wait 3 or 4 months these days....

or am I showing my age?

#35 2013-07-15 02:52:59

deeepthroatgta6

Torrent is a blessing if only we knew how to use it.

#36 2013-07-15 14:46:53

Disco3
Website

2na wrote:

I just wait till there on DVD, then download a DVD rip, you only have to wait 3 or 4 months these days....

or am I showing my age?

No that's what I do. Ameer just accidentally downloaded a DVD screener and thought it was a cam movie, but he was wrong.

Fast 6 is still a terrible movie.

#37 2013-07-15 16:32:34

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Meanwhile, Pacific Rim was a fucking beast of a movie, against all expectations. Got dragged to see it by my brother and ended up loving it. It was extremely corny, but it stuck to its premise and had likable characters I rooted for. Holy hell was it sincere. I miss sincere movies, what happened to those? Man of Steel suffered pretty badly for all that. Only once does anybody say the name "Superman" and it's treated as an embarrassing, stupid thing. I mean, come on, I liked Nolan's Batman movies and they may have gone to a darker, more serious place, but at least they didn't treat their audience with contempt. I'm all for the Iron Man 3 thing of poking fun at things I like, but god damn it, don't treat me like an idiot for wanting fun.

In retrospect, I can't get over how angry I am at Man of Steel. Even angrier that it did gangbusters in the box office while Pacific Rim seems to be floundering and getting whupped by an Adam Sandler movie.

#38 2013-07-15 16:59:30

Disco3
Website

Maindrian wrote:

In retrospect, I can't get over how angry I am at Man of Steel.

WHY AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET WHO REALIZES JUST HOW FUCKING AWFUL EVERY SUPER HERO MOVIE HAS EVER BEEN OR WILL EVER BE. EVEN THE ORIGINAL BATMAN AND SUPERMAN (while enjoyable for their cheeky vintage goodness) WERE NOT GOOD MOVIES. ALL SUPER HERO MOVIES ARE VILE AND SHITTY AND THEY WILL NEVER BE GOOD. PLEASE STOP SEEING THEM (UNLESS YOU PIRATE THEM ILLEGALLY) BECAUSE I'D REALLY LIKE IT IF HOLLYWOOD WOULD STOP SHOVING THAT BULLSHIT DOWN EVERYONE'S THROAT. THANKS.

Also on a side note, when you encounter the term 'Pacific Rim', what do you think of?

#39 2013-07-15 17:53:12

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Disco wrote:
Maindrian wrote:

In retrospect, I can't get over how angry I am at Man of Steel.

WHY AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET WHO REALIZES JUST HOW FUCKING AWFUL EVERY SUPER HERO MOVIE HAS EVER BEEN OR WILL EVER BE. EVEN THE ORIGINAL BATMAN AND SUPERMAN (while enjoyable for their cheeky vintage goodness) WERE NOT GOOD MOVIES. ALL SUPER HERO MOVIES ARE VILE AND SHITTY AND THEY WILL NEVER BE GOOD. PLEASE STOP SEEING THEM (UNLESS YOU PIRATE THEM ILLEGALLY) BECAUSE I'D REALLY LIKE IT IF HOLLYWOOD WOULD STOP SHOVING THAT BULLSHIT DOWN EVERYONE'S THROAT. THANKS.

Also on a side note, when you encounter the term 'Pacific Rim', what do you think of?

I'm going to surprise you. I agree with most of that (not the bit about the original Batman and Superman movies, you evil cretin). I like superhero movies, but we've reached saturation point now. The fact that Warner Brothers are planning on using MoS as the basis for a Justice League movie fills me with despair. Back in the day, at the height of my comic book nerdery, I could dream of such a thing, but now, I don't want it at all.

You want an honest list of my favourite movies of the last couple of years? Not the ones I "enjoyed" as goofy time filling fun (Iron Man 3, Avengers, etc.) or the ones I kind of feel obliged towards as a fanboy (Star Trek, Batman, Sherlock Holmes), but the ones I thought were genuinely good films?

Prometheus (Alright, technically a franchise entry, but fuck off.)
Dredd (Comic book movie, slight sense of fanboy loyalty, but again, fuck off, it's really good.)
Red State
Looper
Sightseers (Low key British black comedy I'd highly recommend.)
Tower Block (Low key British b-movie thriller in the style of John Carpenter.)
Rubber (Touge would back me up on this one.)
Django Unchained
Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy
Pacific Rim (Might just be because I saw it recently, but I came out of the cinema buzzing with nothing but love.)

I think that's a fairly diverse little list, just from glancing at my dvd's.

As for what I think of the term 'Pacific Rim', I just think "What a boring title, is it about tides or something?" After seeing it, I'd have gone with "AWESOME ROCKET PUNCH SWORD ROBOT MONSTER ACTION". Not a sensible title, but one worthy to the premise.

#40 2013-07-16 01:10:47

2na

I would agree with you Disco if you said every Marvel super hero movie is shitty.

I really love the Nolan Batman Trilogy, great performances by all the bad guys of each film, plus it’s very well shot with great effects (that don’t look like a CGI fest)

I only just saw the Iron Man movies, 1 & 2 and I have to say I have had my fill, the 3rd one offers me nothing I haven’t seen before,  never been a fan of Downey, I don’t need to watch another two hours of him waving his dick about.

Hulk and Thor where also pretty piss poor, but I guess it’s hard to make a movie about a giant green human and be taken seriously.

Marvel charters have always been less grounded so the movies are always ridiculous and probably aimed at 14 year olds, so I shouldn’t worry.

#41 2013-07-16 01:18:41

Disco3
Website

Why do so many people like the Nolan shitfest?

I mean it's cool if you do, I just can't see it as more than anything but a regular superhero movie with the brightness turned too far down and the serious turned too far up. It doesn't have any more depth than my bathtub.

But I'm a little jaded, I guess I still have a bad taste in my mouth from OH MY GOD HEATH LEDGER IS TOO A RLY GUD AKTOR, HE NEEDS POSTHUMOUS OSCAR FOR TDK HEHE and Y SO SRS MOTHERFUCKER LOL.

#42 2013-07-16 01:23:24

2na

Disco wrote:

regular superhero movie with the brightness turned too far down and the serious turned too far up. It doesn't have any more depth than my bathtub.

Haha, good one.

I think I'm going to end up seeing Pacific Rim, but I think it will give me nightmares (not for being scary, just for having 2.5 hours of loud noises and flashy lights)  did I mention how soft I'm getting?

#43 2013-07-16 03:41:56

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Disco wrote:

Why do so many people like the Nolan shitfest?

I mean it's cool if you do, I just can't see it as more than anything but a regular superhero movie with the brightness turned too far down and the serious turned too far up. It doesn't have any more depth than my bathtub.

But I'm a little jaded, I guess I still have a bad taste in my mouth from OH MY GOD HEATH LEDGER IS TOO A RLY GUD AKTOR, HE NEEDS POSTHUMOUS OSCAR FOR TDK HEHE and Y SO SRS MOTHERFUCKER LOL.

I've got a bias mainly because hey, fanboy, but the Nolan films work well simply because they slow the fuck up at times and let the stories breathe. Then when the action does hit, it's short, relentless and really pops. It helps of course that said action is mostly done on set or model work. If you want to see why Nolan's films work, watch Man of Steel (which he admittedly has a producer's credit on, although I'm guessing it was very hands off) and see what happens when somebody tries to do a Nolan style film and fucks it up. By which I mean, the entire first half is boring and ponderous and overly reverent and the second half is desensitizing, extremely violent action that feels like a fat guy lowering himself onto your face, it's that uncomfortable to watch. And of course, it's a nightmare of dodgy CG too.

Disco, I just listed a bunch of non-superhero films I like. What do you like? Do you like movies at all? I literally cannot think of any time you've given a good example. I'm not counting the F&F movies because I refuse to believe anybody could like those beyond nostalgia/irony purposes.

2na, if you haven't actually seen the third one, I'd say don't judge by the trailer. It... Has a certain spin and becomes an entirely different animal from the first two movies. I can't believe people actually dislike Downey Jr. though, that's fucking crazy talk. The guy's a perfect movie star. Rather him than Spam Worthington, man of wood.

#44 2013-07-16 04:52:53

deeepthroatgta6

tumblr_llv2z518b01qhhaijo1_400.jpg
Seen?

Last edited by 4029 (2013-07-17 02:31:07)

#45 2013-07-16 21:28:50

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

All I can remember about that film is Pacino gulping down huge lumps of the scenery and the court scene with the world's least subtle paedophile. I don't recall being that impressed.

I love these guys so much.

#46 2013-07-16 22:18:40

Disco3
Website

Jesus fucking christ, Deepfaggot. Even I know when to not shit a thread with ridiculously huge pictures - and that's kind-of my thing.

Maindrian wrote:

Disco, I just listed a bunch of non-superhero films I like. What do you like? Do you like movies at all? I literally cannot think of any time you've given a good example. I'm not counting the F&F movies because I refuse to believe anybody could like those beyond nostalgia/irony purposes.

Out of the list you named, I liked Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy - but it took me a while to 'get into it'.

I even liked the Nolan Batman films - but not because they were good. They were entertaining - and that's about it. I can't re-watch them (AT ALL - and I've tried) without getting bored. The entertainment was there. It was a good summer blockbuster. But it wasn't a good movie.

As far as truly great movies go, I don't really know what to tell you. As of late, I watched 'Falling Down' and enjoyed it (but I couldn't watch it again, it would aggravate me too much). I didn't enjoy Django as much as his other films, but it was alright.

But I spend all of my time watching television shows now. I guess I get more enjoyment from depth and character development than I do the big screen nowadays.

I'll try really hard to list some movies I'm fond of. I'll get back to you.

#47 2013-07-18 12:32:13

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

I'll add another to that list that I watched last night. Robot & Frank will WRECK YOUR SHIT.

I'm a total sap when it comes to films about old gits. Gran Torino had a similar effect on me.

#48 2013-07-20 08:29:35

ameer
cunt smasher!

Maindrian wrote:

feels like a fat guy lowering himself onto your face, it's that uncomfortable to watch.

I heard Man of Steel was really bad, but that was the best way I've ever heard anything described ever. I want to see it just for the lulz shitfest factor.

QV9djMp.jpg

#49 2013-07-20 14:41:15

Disco3
Website

TIL that Ameer likes it when fat men sit on his face.

#50 2013-07-26 03:22:49

deeepthroatgta6

Going to catch the wolverine today. Hoping for some exciting time.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer