#1 2015-05-26 01:33:09

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Quality Film Recommendation Thread for Cool People (No Spoilers)

I'm just trying to make a dent in my Netflix playlist. Let's try and keep this mainly devoted to proper films as opposed to silly big summer explosion fuckfests.

Locke

Liked this a lot, especially in relation to Mad Max: Fury Road. It could almost be a prequel. The premise is quite simple. Tom Hardy is in a car and does acting and it's rather good. The film never leaves the car, save for one scene at the beginning and one at the end and most of his interaction with the outside world is conducted via the phone. It may sound like some useless Phone Booth style high concept bullshit, but it's actually not, so fuck you. Instead, it's just very human drama about a guy who's done a big silly fuck up and is scrambling to come out of it with as much self respect and dignity as he can.

Make no bones about it, I love Hardy. When he's in tune with the material, he's phenomenal.

I give this film 5 lovely Welsh accents out of 5.

Dom Hemmingway

Well, it's better than that trailer makes it look, Jesus Christ. Expected shitty LAHHNDON gangster shlock, ended up walking away with a rather sweet portrait of a boistrous, unpleasant, unbalanced, strangely charming asshole. It's not essential, but I enjoyed it.

There's just not enough good British films any more. sad

#2 2015-06-16 15:12:58

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Re: Quality Film Recommendation Thread for Cool People (No Spoilers)

I watched the Adjustment Bureau the other night and I really liked it.

tonymanero-1.gifTICJHg8.giftonymanero-1.gif

#3 2015-06-17 13:54:12

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

I've had that sitting on my pile for about a year now. My brother lent it to me and films he lends me often stink. He highly recommended the Travolta shit-fest From Paris With Love for instance. He's got a thing about shitty Luc Besson produced toss like Taken. I'll give it a look though, John.

It's technically a film, a mate and I watched Richard Pryor: Live in Concert the other day. It's his classic 1979 one, you can find it on Youtube. I didn't watch it on Youtube though, I own it. I own all the Pryor concert movies. And his TV show. I am super fanboy. I confess, my favourite of his is Live and Smokin' the 1971 movie. It's a raw as fuck club gig. There's moments where he's not funny and the crowd isn't laughing and there are moments where he's clearly freaked out and nervous as hell. He's not quite THERE yet, but he's working on it and finding his way; it's absolutely fascinating.

I don't own any of his acting roles mind you, the movies he was in were largely shit.

Alright, I have Superman 3.

#4 2015-06-17 15:26:14

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Just a side note, by 'I really liked it' I mean that I really liked watching it, not that I'm claiming it's a masterpiece. It wasn't a real thinker, but it was suspenseful enough to keep me glued to the screen and I was really rooting for the main character. The soundtrack was neat, too, it was fun to watch loud.

Last night Ameer and I watched a documentary called "The Woman Who Wasn't There" about some fat Spaniard who decided to lie about everything ever and put herself at the forefront of 9/11 survivor support groups (with national recognition, mind you). It was fascinating.

#5 2015-06-22 15:12:51

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Saw Jurassic Park: Jurassic World yesterday with the Ameer and his gal. I'll hold my tongue until you guys let me know how you felt.

#6 2015-06-22 18:17:12

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Don't hold your tongue, I highly doubt I'm going to see it. I hear it's a bit muddled.

Going back to your documentary thing, I saw Life Itself, the Roger Ebert film the other day and I found it really, really difficult to watch on a personal level. I just saw my granddad die of cancer last year, it was pretty hard to see Ebert in the same way. Seeing his wife struggle with letting him go made me appreciate how tough as nails my mum and grandma were when they both lost their husbands. My mum's a nurse, so with her, the armor went on, they moved the hospital bed into their living room and my stepdad spent his last days in as much comfort as she could provide. For the sake of my stepsister, who was only about 7 or 8 at the time, I don't think mum ever shed a tear in company over it. My grandma meanwhile, she's just the epitome of no-nonsense. My dad burst into tears at the deathbed and she told him off for it. Seeing Chaz Ebert in the same situation... She struggles with it. Understandably so.

Otherwise, it's a lovely celebration of a guy who loved writing and talking about cinema and as a bit of a fan (his site was usually my first stop for reviews), it was great. Hard to watch, but great.

I loved that at one point, somebody very loudly and angrily exclaims; "Fuck Pauline Kael."

#7 2015-06-23 01:30:04

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Alright, well - Chris Pratt and being in 3D ruined the whole goddamned movie. And, sorry Chris, the ending was stupid. Yeah, I saw the scars. No, I didn't think the half hour of nothing but lazy CG animals fighting was worth the fifty bucks we spent on tickets. It was like a cop out.

That said, I did have a good time at the theater and the soundtrack was mixed nicely. I wouldn't pay to see it again, but it was a lot better than the first two sequels.

I like documentaries. I want to watch one on the Zodiac killer and maybe one on DB Cooper soon. Over the weekend I tried to watch a documentary on the 24 hours following the Kennedy assassination, but I didn't realize until after I DVR'd it that it was some bullshit "History" Channel make-everything-up-umentary. I was disappointed.

#8 2015-06-23 10:21:44

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

You shut your whore mouth, The Lost World is brilliant.

#9 2015-06-26 01:11:12

Inky
is a pie

First I'd like to say I'm with you when it comes to 3D movies. They're an absolute rip-off and I can't wait until people realise this and they stop making them.

As for Chris Pratt, well, I think he's got potential to be a decent actor.. but with his previous role as Star Lord which was somewhat similar to this one (a kind of rougish tough guy with some jokes here and there) it really didn't feel like anything different from Guardians of the Galaxy. Even so, I enjoyed the other characters if only for the fact that none of them screamed bloody murder while standing in one spot waiting for something to eat them.

As for the sequels, well, Jurassic World is a lot better than the Jurassic Park 2 & 3. I still think that ending was awesome though. I loved raptors and T-rex vs. Frakensaur. Yeah that shit would never happen in real life, these things weren't acting like the animals they are. I still thought it was pretty bad ass seeing them all team up against the Indominus Rex. Mother fucker had it coming.

Oh and also that bitch-ass InGen guy getting his arm bit off by the raptor was pretty fun.

#10 2015-06-26 13:05:04

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

You're basically selling the movie to me, every time you say "It's better than 2..."

Seriously, Lost World is up there with Raiders for mean-spirited jokester Spielberg. Like, it's very clear that the guy who said; "Hey, let's have some poor hapless egyptian fall off a scaffold onto a moving truck and the hero and the villain both stop fighting to laugh at him." is also the same guy who said; "You know what? Let's have the nicest character in the movie get eaten by a t-rex. No! TWO T-rexes! Then later, we'll have a t-rex headbutt the side of a bus and you'll see random people fly out the other side!" If it has that level of casual disregard for people on the sidelines, I'm all in.

BUT! Proper movies! Yesterday I saw Charlie Bartlett. I came round somebody's house just as some godawful looking british hipster musical thing about an anorexic girl was finishing (yeah.) and nobody was paying attention and this movie just started up automatically and had us all laughing our arses off from the first scene on. It's an 80's style throwback/subversion of a teen high school movie, it's really lovely in a fantastical "Obviously nobody would ever act like this in real life" kind of way.

I enjoyed how everything about it was flipped on its head. The hero of the piece, Charlie is a rich kid who's likable and just seems to want the best for everybody (while selling them his prescription medication), the mohawk school bully who beats him up becomes his sidekick, there's never even the remotest hint at a romantic relationship in trouble where he has to win the girl back and there's Robert Downey Jr. putting in a... convincing turn as a tense, alchoholic principal with very little smartass wisecracks and a lot of pathos. As my sister quipped; "This is just documentary footage of his daily life during his time on Ally Mcbeal." The film keeps setting up these teen movie cliches and then knocking them aside. Really enjoyed Anton Yelchin in it, never cared for him before as baby Kyle Reese in that one shitty Terminator film, or as nu-Chekov in the Abrams Star Treks. This film convinced me the guy's an underutilized talent.

(I was going to link the trailer here, but Jesus Fuck, it's bad. Why are trailers so bad. Why do things like intercutting loads of scenes of different people saying the title of the film? So halfway through you're assaulted by "CHARLIEBARTLETT.CHARLIEBARTLETT?CHARLIEBARTLETT!". Fuck you, trailers. Go in cold, don't watch the trailer, it stinks and will put you off.)

#11 2015-07-27 14:23:08

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Ameer and I finally watched John Wick.

It was pretty good - not mind-blowingly awesome like Mad Max was, but it was entertaining. I was like FUCK YEAH HE JUST KILLED FORTY PEOPLE OVER HIS DOG, YEAH THAT'S TOTALLY JUSTIFIED FUCK YEAH DOGE!@!@!! and then the movie kept going and that's the bit that I didn't like.

It would have been a LOT more enjoyable if it ended after he took care of the dog business, the rest was a little tiring to sit through. But I'm glad I saw it. Also why is Keanu so freakin' sad?!?!

#12 2015-07-27 23:53:04

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Oh! I almost forgot my favorite part - the soundtrack! Check out Kaleida's Think - not only is the song excellent, but it was used in the club scene, which has to be one of the best and most well-choreographed action scenes I've ever seen.

#13 2015-12-10 18:34:28

deeepthroatgta6

I watched The Truman Show (1998) , The Game (1997) and Dark City (1998)  back to back today. Now I feel so old, I'm not even in the 21st century.

0c6SNVi.gif
UHlxVlq.gif
DQf3bOg.gif

I found the movies fantastic.

Last edited by deeepthroatgta6 (2015-12-11 11:16:17)

#14 2016-01-12 05:54:56

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

The Kingsman movie was fucking excellent. So good. Everything about it was excellent.

#15 2016-01-12 11:44:59

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Yeah, Kingsman was a great cinema trip.

I did really like John Wick, but I saw it within the same week as the Denzel Washington take on The Equalizer (which only really became "THE EQUALIZER" as I know it in the last two minutes) and... They're the same movie. Outcast, outwardly-harmless-but-actually-deadly middle aged man singlehandedly ruins Russian mobster's day. John Wick wins out on style points and the fact that they at least try to humanise the lead villain rather than have him just be some baby eating EEEEEEEEVIL guy. The more I think about The Equalizer, the worse it gets, actually. Very blatantly going for those Taken dollars while carelessly cashing in on a very good old TV show. Not a microbe of the style Wick had.

Saw the Bill Murray movie St. Vincent the other day, in which he plays the world's worst babysitter. Murray does his best and it would have been a very moving, funny, charming little film, had it not been so layered with schmaltzy sentiment coupled with the single worst motion picture score. It's pretty fucking hard to engage emotionally with a film when the music is there, nudging you in the ribs, screaming "COME ON, THIS IS AN UPLIFTING MOMENT, SMILE! SMILE!" It introduces all this other drama that doesn't do anything and goes nowhere. He has a stroke! Now he's okay! Oh no, there's a custody battle! Joint custody but it turns out the dad is OKAY GUY, not some horrid monster! Kid gets bullied! He punches bully, now they're suddenly BFF! So much muddled nonsense that ends, of course, with a fucking school presentation about why Murray's character is a really nice guy, despite outward appearances.

It was just sickening. I don't recommend, ever. So, probably not one for this topic.

Also, Jurassic World stank as well. Seriously, it's the worst. It had the meanspirited thing I was on about, but it didn't use it where it counted. I wanted to see high heels idiot boss lady and those two shitty kids bite it, violently. Instead, the most violent, drawn out death in the movie is... The forgettable assistant lady? Shit, Vincent D'Onofrio's character didn't get a death scene that good!

#16 2016-01-12 15:27:24

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

I told you Jurassic World sucked.

I want to watch more movies like Kingsman. I didn't think too hard, it was ALWAYS exciting and endlessly funny. There wasn't a boring bit to that whole movie - I can't think of another movie that was just so much fun to watch.

Any recommendations?

#17 2016-01-12 16:53:22

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Man From UNCLE was alright as far as sixties throwback spy movies go. Obviously not quite as in your face and filthy as Kingsman, but it coasts by on a breezy charm and a nice soundtrack. Of course, it's Guy Ritchie, so there's always the danger you could find it less "breezy charm" and more "smug as fuck", but I enjoyed it. A sadly optimistic ending, considering it bombed so hard, mind you.

Just on a quality level, Ex Machina (which, like MFU, stars Alicia Vikander) might not be "fun", but it might be my favourite of last year. Just a neat, slow, claustrophobic little sci-fi movie that seems to be exploring one idea, before becoming something else far weirder.

Oscar Isaac's beard is amazing in it too.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer