#1 2017-05-17 21:28:52

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

LET US TALK FILMS

Anybody seen Alien: Covenant yet? Come on, guys, I want to talk about it at length with much pretentious over-analysis and why I think it's great. Except for the one bit I didn't find great, but hey ho.

That's a recommendation, btw.

#2 2017-05-18 17:19:38

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Re: LET US TALK FILMS

No but I did recently watch xXx for the first time and I loved it. The "DUTCH CAMERA ANGLES" (learned this new term while watching it!) and the sheer 90s-ness of it was so excellent. I can't believe we don't have more environmental activists punishing anti-skateboarding legislators or flying Corvettes - could make so much more sense out of our current political climate.

tonymanero-1.gifTICJHg8.giftonymanero-1.gif

#3 2017-05-18 21:13:56

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

I went to see xXx on a date. Nobody was there except us. We started pissing about, running up and down the aisles like a pair of children after a certain point because it was pretty shite. Later on in the evening, we ended up in the area of town beneath the shopping center where all the homeless people slept. Was a pretty weird night out.

#4 2017-05-19 18:19:08

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

That happened once when I saw the Lizzie McGuire movie, except we tried kissing in lieu of 'pissing about' (man y'all brits are nasty!) and the power went out during the final fireworks scene.

#5 2017-05-30 20:19:43

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

I think Ameer described Twin Peaks best when he said "I don't need to re-watch the first season because I remember what happened and I don't need to re-watch the second season because it was terrible."

Wanted to watch ONE episode of the new Twin Peaks last night - turns out each episode is a two-hour 'film'. Ugh. Can't pay attention that long.

Was hoping it would be like "HEY NEW PEOPLE HERE'S SOMETHIN NEW" and there were new things, but nothing with context and that was frustrating. But the old stuff was just like HEY LET'S BRING BACK EVERYTHING, EVEN THE LOG, BUT ALSO JUST WORK THEM IN WITHOUT INTRODUCTIONS LIKE EVERYONE EVER KNOWS WHO THEY ARE.

If they cut out the filler (would be MAYBE forty minutes of actual show) I think I would have enjoyed the show a lot more, but then it also wouldn't have been David Lynch or Twin Peaks. Add the lack of attention to four or seven twisting, arcing plots that are too convoluted to understand and you've basically got the most Twin Peaks season of all the Twin Peaks seasons.

#6 2017-05-31 15:55:47

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Each episode is an hour long though.

I'll admit it's been slow paced, but filler? All the first four episodes flew by for me, none of it felt like filler. Even Wally Brando, who is great and the best.

#7 2017-06-01 14:31:35

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

The one we watched was an hour and fifty-one minutes long and it was excruciating. It was called 'S03E01'????

Had it been a half an hour (or even an hour) I probably wouldn't have felt like it was wasting so much of my time.

Part of my dislike for it was how easily we guessed the absurd plot elements - like when we saw the figure in the glass box, we knew it would be Cooper - and also the neuron-looking EVOLUTION OF THE ARM thing was really cheesy and annoying.

But I don't know, I wasn't the biggest fan of the original series and I don't know what I expected of the new one. Maybe I'll self-impose some breaks in the next episode and see if I can digest it better.

#8 2017-06-01 17:05:45

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Was the Wally Brando scene in there? Because that means you just watched two episodes back to back. At least that's how it's aired here. They should be going to 1 episode a week, instead of two. I don't know why they'd blow four in two weeks like they have, but eh. Some of these complaints are just bizarre. You guessed the glass box would have Cooper in it? Er. Well done you, I guess? Didn't make that connection myself. The Evolution of the Arm was a fucking hilarious way to re-cast Michael J. Anderson who has become... A bit unpleasant, to say the least.

Literally my only complaint so far is that they've not gotten Coop back to his old self yet. I hope that coffee scene done did it. Speaking of which, the bit where Gordon and Albert interview Evil Coop is fucking SUPERB.

Disco, I've got an inkling you and I share very, very different TV tastes. I bloody loved Fargo. You tried to illustrate to me how terrible it was by showing off a moment I really liked, so YMMV, I suppose. I really should have gone back to that, but THERE'S TOO MUCH TV

You should probably jump on board for this. I keep telling you, you'll love all the dancing Texan accents.

Holy shit, even the Saint of Killers is played by a Scot. Superb.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer