#1 2007-10-04 17:47:03

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

The new Foos cd.

Was there any publicity for it whatsoever? I mean, I found the damn thing staring out at me from a shelf the other day and did a double take. So I went online later that night and found that it was indeed a new Foo Fighters cd, not some dodgy compilation of crap (which, I should mention, the cover art conveys). Come back to the shop a day later, buy it.

I've listened to it twice in a row and I'll be damned if I can remember a song from it. I swear, the impossible has finally happened and Dave Grohl has made an album I don't like much. THE SKY IS FALLING OMG. On the other hand, I like the sentiment of "Cheer Up, Boys (Your Makeup is Running)".

In all seriousness, it wont stop me buying the next cd, because I'm not one of those people who boycott a band because they do something I'm not keen on. Boy though, what a letdown.

Anyone else heard it, hated it/loved it?

Offline

#2 2007-10-04 19:07:34

John Coffey
Number 1 Cunt
Registered: 2006-12-03
Posts: 54

Re: The new Foos cd.

its not my kind of music but i know what you mean about the lack of advertising does seem rather daft for a \"well known\" artist... but then again if it was a shit CD then is the lack of advertising so bad?


BOREDOM STRIKES ME LIKE CANCER ON A SMALL CHILD!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Glipmac/119459506991.jpg[/IMG]

Offline

#3 2007-10-04 20:00:38

Needles
Drinks Fucking Tea!
Registered: 1999-01-15
Posts: 2,312

Re: The new Foos cd.

My drumming and guitar playing is easily the best thing on that album...

Funny story as it happens... I'm in the office (lavatory) dealing with some serious issues (bowel related) and my mobile goes off, and who should it be? Non other than that Bruce Willis chap, asking me to direct his new film, I said sure thing. So, whilst filming and ordering around the minions of Hollywood, Dave Ghrol had a small part in the film. We got to talking and I mentioned how I was a musical visionary and quite clearly in the category of genius. To my surprise ( I say to my surprise, I knew Ghrol would follow everyone else and agree ) Dave Ghrol agreed with my statement and immediately got on his hands and knees pleading with me to lay down some super slick tasty guitar tones on this album. I agreed I?m such a whore for rock stars pleading (curse you live aid).

A short while later in the studio, Taylor Hawkins was laying down the drums, which were nasty. So when he popped off home, Ghrol mentioned I should dive behind the kit and do it properly. So I did, yet Hawkins does not know any better yet!

I'm omitted from the credits of the album to protect my identity of course, but that is the story behind the new Foo Fighters album.

Next week I?ll tell you all the story of how I beat the fuck out of Jet Li, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and the bulletproof monk all at the same time!

Needles


Drink Tea

Anonymous wrote:

Banning people is not the only job of an admin. All i've seen from you is that: A ) Anyone who does not share your views over things is wrong and therefore must be banned, and B ) You are completely biased towards England.

(note the views expressed by Needles are not necessarily shared by the Gouranga! Forums staff and sometimes we've never heard of him guv honest, he just loiters around a bit making the place look untidy. your Honour.)

Offline

#4 2007-10-04 20:07:27

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

Re: The new Foos cd.

I dunno, I think it's just strange. I worship at the alter of Grohl and I genuinely reckon every album he's ever been involved with, from Nirvana to Probot, the Foos, QOTSA... Hell, even the Tenacious D one, all rocked. He's never put a foot wrong.

And this one, I dunno. It's just... Bleh. Also, it has a couple of mawkish piano ballads which leave me a bit queasy. Still, they were a break from the MOR onslaught. The title of the album is bloody awful too.

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace?

Oh well, at least the first song was alright... In a slightly bland, dull way.

EDIT: So, basically, what you're saying Needles, is that it's all your fault? I can buy that.

Last edited by 8 (2007-10-04 20:20:01)

Offline

#5 2007-10-04 21:37:27

John Coffey
Number 1 Cunt
Registered: 2006-12-03
Posts: 54

Re: The new Foos cd.

Needles wrote:

My drumming and guitar playing is easily the best thing on that album...

Funny story as it happens... I'm in the office (lavatory) dealing with some serious issues (bowel related) and my mobile goes off, and who should it be? Non other than that Bruce Willis chap, asking me to direct his new film, I said sure thing. So, whilst filming and ordering around the minions of Hollywood, Dave Ghrol had a small part in the film. We got to talking and I mentioned how I was a musical visionary and quite clearly in the category of genius. To my surprise ( I say to my surprise, I knew Ghrol would follow everyone else and agree ) Dave Ghrol agreed with my statement and immediately got on his hands and knees pleading with me to lay down some super slick tasty guitar tones on this album. I agreed I?m such a whore for rock stars pleading (curse you live aid).

A short while later in the studio, Taylor Hawkins was laying down the drums, which were nasty. So when he popped off home, Ghrol mentioned I should dive behind the kit and do it properly. So I did, yet Hawkins does not know any better yet!

I'm omitted from the credits of the album to protect my identity of course, but that is the story behind the new Foo Fighters album.

Next week I?ll tell you all the story of how I beat the fuck out of Jet Li, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and the bulletproof monk all at the same time!

Needles

At no point was that interesting... that happens to most of us... sometimes twice a week


BOREDOM STRIKES ME LIKE CANCER ON A SMALL CHILD!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Glipmac/119459506991.jpg[/IMG]

Offline

#6 2007-10-05 01:05:49

Knott
Ah, fuck.
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 816

Re: The new Foos cd.

yikes I never reallised you liked such commercialised blandness. Actaully you also do super like muse up arseness but that is a different type of unspeakable.

You can't seriously even defend something as completely insulting as this? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6muISjM2k

Although I guess that's not as bad as that twat bono sucking up being in that documentary thing (that I haven't seen yet and I don't even know when it's on channel 4).


I can't belive you've done this.

Offline

#7 2007-10-05 09:42:30

2na
Member
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 14

Re: The new Foos cd.

Daniel wrote:

yikes I never reallised you liked such commercialised blandness. Actaully you also do super like muse up arseness but that is a different type of unspeakable

Eurh, get fucked good music is popular for a reason dummy.

Yeah I got the new foo's CD and yes it's a bit bland, as for the publicity they have been bashing that new single the pretender on the radio so I new all about the new album about 2 weeks before it's release.  That?s one song I really like to, rest of the album: forgetful.


I hope you like me and I fit in with your life.

Offline

#8 2007-10-05 20:46:44

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

Re: The new Foos cd.

Danny, I never realised what a horribly elitist music snob you were before. Yeah, fine, I've got a thing for outsider music and obscure bands and strange styles you've never heard of, why can't I also enjoy a bit of commercialised rock? What exactly is wrong with listening to stuff that's unpretentious and enjoyable occasionally?

Also, why should I give a shit about somebody covering a Clash song? It's not like people are going to think of that cover when they think of London Calling. Lets face it, you pulled that one out of your arse there.

Likewise, pull your head out of your arse, go buy a 70's Queen record or some T-rex, put it on and headbang around the room. Y'know, for fun.

Offline

#9 2007-10-05 22:15:18

Needles
Drinks Fucking Tea!
Registered: 1999-01-15
Posts: 2,312

Re: The new Foos cd.

Did you know that i've had a major input in all musical recordings and compositions of the last 500 years?

Needles


Drink Tea

Anonymous wrote:

Banning people is not the only job of an admin. All i've seen from you is that: A ) Anyone who does not share your views over things is wrong and therefore must be banned, and B ) You are completely biased towards England.

(note the views expressed by Needles are not necessarily shared by the Gouranga! Forums staff and sometimes we've never heard of him guv honest, he just loiters around a bit making the place look untidy. your Honour.)

Offline

#10 2007-10-05 22:24:40

Knott
Ah, fuck.
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 816

Re: The new Foos cd.

Maindrian wrote:

It's not like people are going to think of that cover when they think of London Calling.

The sad truth is that I'd bet quite a few who saw that would and don't even know of the clash, or dismiss them as "old shit".

Dave Grohl unpretentious? yikes Strange, he seems quite showwy offy yet not deserving of such high levels of praise and being just like every other band out there. I just think it's a bit insensitive for dave grohl to be doing that tribute when it just seems like something to boost his popularity and associate himself with joe. Particularly when you can't see anything about how he acts / writes / performs / has ideals which would make you think he was someone influenced or affected by the clash.

I don't know, I just find it sad how in general certain people aren't appreciated because they don't pander to the media and yet when they die the media do some lying through their teeth piece on how they thought such and such was so great and it's such a sad occasion, when in reality they don't give a shit.

Last edited by 29 (2007-10-05 22:25:14)


I can't belive you've done this.

Offline

#11 2007-10-05 22:24:48

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

Re: The new Foos cd.

Argh, what a load of utterly obtuse bullshit.

It's MUSIC. You LISTEN to it. You ENJOY it. Or NOT.

If Grohl's such a horrible meany for getting involved with a Clash cover and associating himself with Saint Joseph Strummer (god rest 'is soul guvnor), then so is Costello. I DARE you to diss Costello. Go on, try it, punk.

Also, considering it's a fucking CLASH TRIBUTE, I think it's fairly bloody clear whose song it is. Stop making me want to shout at you.

Last edited by 8 (2007-10-05 22:38:30)

Offline

#12 2007-10-05 22:55:05

Knott
Ah, fuck.
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 816

Re: The new Foos cd.

Actually Costello and Strummer were fairly close to other I would guess - if not beforehand then at least through the pogues. There was actual reason for him to cover it.


I can't belive you've done this.

Offline

#13 2007-10-05 23:00:51

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

Offline

#14 2007-10-05 23:18:29

Knott
Ah, fuck.
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 816

Re: The new Foos cd.

Sorry my posts are rather shit, but i'm just pissed off at things in general that's all. Also the state of music today but then whatcha gunna do about it :-/


I can't belive you've done this.

Offline

#15 2007-11-05 14:59:14

Meklo
| Dwi'n Yma O Hyd | :.
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 682
Website

Re: The new Foos cd.

Daniel wrote:

Actually Costello and Strummer were fairly close to other I would guess - if not beforehand then at least through the pogues. There was actual reason for him to cover it.

At the end of the day, most people know who Dave Grohl is (and like him at that) and would rather hear him doing the cover than some cunty who knew the guy.

Dave Grohl writes catchy songs and is a competent musician. Watching him play live and comparing that show to bands like Tool, Opeth, Megadeth etc. I can honestly say he still impressed me. If you could keep 10k people entertained with just an acoustic guitar and you singing, then please continue. He can. End of.

As far as him being pretentious... whenever I've seen him (both live and on tv interviews) he has always given credit to other people before himself. I'd say he was far more gracious and grounded than many famous performers. (Tool were absolute assholes.)

In conclusion, Dave Grohl > Whoever the hell you are.


I see infinite constraints only bound by their conception ::.. .  .   .

Offline

#16 2007-11-06 01:56:23

Knott
Ah, fuck.
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 816

Re: The new Foos cd.

Exit worked up, above thou dave-grohl-is-the-greatest fan stage rIght.







I just think it would be more fitting to get Mick Jones to do it or something, rather than commercialise the whole thing.

Comments like:

Meklo wrote:

At the end of the day, most people know who Dave Grohl is (and like him at that) and would rather hear him doing the cover than some cunty who knew the guy.

just show that you are missing the point and to be honest don't seem to grasp what the clash or joe was about. Ah well...


I can't belive you've done this.

Offline

#17 2007-11-06 08:11:29

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

Re: The new Foos cd.

You know, sometimes Knott, I readeth your purple prose and you suddenly take form.

Lets face it. You are Dennis.

Offline

#18 2007-11-06 11:07:05

Alfadog
beats eating it
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,065,928

Re: The new Foos cd.

I'm seeing this on my birthday big_smile:D:D

spamalot-sm.jpg

Offline

#19 2007-11-06 21:25:22

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

Re: The new Foos cd.

Oh, do tell if it's worth seeing. It's probably the only musical stage production I'd ever be tempted to view. Ever.

Offline

#20 2011-02-17 00:01:08

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo
Registered: 2003-02-18
Posts: 3,064

Re: The new Foos cd.

THAT'S MORE FUCKING LIKE IT, WELCOME BACK, DAVE'S GONADS.

I've had this song looping for hours now. It rocks.

Offline

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer