#1 2014-04-22 02:12:09

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Livin' that Miata life.

Took a late model MX5 softop with a 6-speed in on trade not too long ago. Other than being bone-crushingly uncomfortable, so small that even my short ass doesn't have enough legroom and wildly impractical (damn near had to make two trips to the grocery store for lack of space for groceries!), this thing is a hoot.

A gutless hoot, but super zippy and easy to slide and great at donuts.

And my face is sunburned.

Bitches drop their panties when you drop the top, ask how I know.

Anyway, this is probably the most fun and most uncomfortable car I've driven in a long time. And I drove Ameer's car in October and he removed his suspension entirely and just bolted his wheels to his frame.

tonymanero-1.gifTICJHg8.giftonymanero-1.gif

#2 2014-04-22 02:23:16

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Re: Livin' that Miata life.

Also the dog likes it a whole lot. http://imgur.com/a/4ITj6

#3 2014-04-22 08:31:47

Fragdieb2

The dog seems to really enjoy the ride smile

Did it have some aftermarket springs, or why was the suspension so uncomfortable? I can't imagine these things to be that hard stock. I never had the opportunity to try an MX5 so far, the only comparable thing I ever drove was a Fiat Barchetta, and that wasn't that bad comfort-wise, except for when I tried to catch up some sleep in the driver's seat.

-temporary placeholder for a new cool signature-

#4 2014-04-22 15:00:40

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

While the suspension is stiff (and I don't think that helps), it's not so much the suspension by itself as it is the car as a whole. I'm not a tall man by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't get the seat positioned far enough back for me to comfortably work the clutch or steering wheel. Couple that with leaning the seat back so my eyes aren't in the windscreen frame and it's just an awkward driving position for me.

That, and the car doesn't weigh anything so it bounces around at every bump you hit. My butt and my lower back go numb after a few minutes and I just hurt when I get out of it.

But it scoots like the dickens and it spins around and flies through turns like nothing else. It really is like a road-legal go-kart, back pain and all.

And yeah, the dog loved it. She really liked putting her paws on the dash and sticking her face above the windscreen while we went fast.

#5 2014-04-22 21:49:48

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

EDIT - one of my mechanics found a couple of empty cigarette packs under the seat, blocking the tracks. I'll drive it home today and see if being able to position myself correctly makes it any different.

#6 2014-04-24 16:14:12

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

YES I AM PRETTY GODDAMNED SURE I WANT TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD, FLOOD LIMITERS BE DAMNED.

For those that care, the seat being further back really helped. It's still not a comfortable car by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not lower-back-numbingly terrible anymore.

But I had to stop driving it, I'll take it home this weekend I think. But I got pretty sunburnt lol.

#7 2014-04-24 17:14:00

Fragdieb2

Haha, the thing with old cigarette packs blocking the seats is awesome. The joy of pre-owned cars, always a box of surprises, kind of opening a christmas present. At least you can be pretty sure that nobody had sex on the seats of a pre-owned MX 5 when you get one, as the size of it kind of makes that impossible.

Speaking of bouncy suspension, I bought this prime example of japanese microcar engineering about half a year ago:

hardcuore.jpg

For some odd reason, the previous owners left a towing rope rated for 3 metric tons in it, no idea what they intended to use that for in a car with 58hp and weighing about 800 kilos.

#8 2014-04-24 17:59:50

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Yeah that's *too* tiny. I'd be scared to drive that over here. Is that your Miata in front of it? Makes it look HUUUUUGE.

And yeah, we find all kinds of hilarious things inside of auction/repo/customer buys. I didn't have this one cleaned before I took it because I knew I wanted to bring the dog, otherwise the cig packs wouldn't have been an issue. I hadn't ever really considered sex fluids to be a concern, but I guess I will, now. We find a lot of blood and puke and shit and trash and rotten food, though.

#9 2014-04-24 18:29:45

Fragdieb2

The thing about sex fluids was something Top Gear did in one or two of their used car challenges, where they had some police experts check the cars for all kinds of nasty stuff, I remember they found vaginal fluid and pubic hair on the seats of a BMW Richard Hammond bought.

The Miata on the picture isn't mine, it just happened to be parked there on the day I took that picture. The Daihatsu's small size is actually an advantage here, it enlarges the probability of finding a space to park. The main reason I got it though is insurance, apparently insurance companies do not share my opinion that 10 years of not crashing in rental vans and cars borrowed from friends and family members should be worth a massive deduction.

It kind of drives like a go-kart as well, I guess mainly because it's the manual-everything model, weighs next to nothing and has those really small wheels.

You should do a best-of collection of items you find in cars, it might be a great laugh.

#10 2014-04-24 18:34:49

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

disco2 wrote:

Yeah that's *too* tiny. I'd be scared to drive that over here.

*BRAAAAAARRRP BRAAAAAAAAAAARRRP*
"YEEEEEHAW! WHAT THE HAYLL IS THAYT, SOME KINDA FAGGIT CAR? WHOOOO!"
*does a stone cold stunner*

Also; 100729_prodigal_gun.jpg

Every time I do a GIS for "Texas Man" I'm left in tears of laughter.

#11 2014-04-24 21:28:00

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cWIOrTz.png[/IMG]

#12 2014-04-25 01:40:35

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Frag, how much is your insurance a month? I pay an absurdly high rate, far more than normal at around $300/mo for personal and our garage policy is over $1200/mo, but that's only because state law says that you have to have coverage for 'all owned and possessed vehicles' with $1mil in liability coverage to drive with dealer tags. I've always been curious how outrageous European insurance rates are.

Por ejemplo, full comprehensive on that car with an average number of infractions and subprime credit would be $90-$115 a month.

Edit, that personal insurance bill also includes renter' s insurance and it's actually about $280, just checked.

#13 2014-04-25 06:20:11

Fragdieb2

Wow, compared to that, my insurance is pretty cheap, I pay around 60€ per month right now, but that only covers third-party liability. Full comprehensive would have been a bit over 100€/month, but as I paid only 1200€ for the car, it wouldn't make too much sense. It is also quite low because when I got the contract I estimated I would be driving about 10000 km / year, but it seems lI'll be exceeding that, car ownership makes the lazy side win.

I think the system here is also a bit different compared to the US, as the law mandates that the insurance for the car that caused the accident is always liable, so if I would have an accident in a rental car, the rental car companies insurance is liable and not mine. If one of my friends would borrow my car and crash it on the other hand, my insurance would have to pay.

The 1 mil limit for damage coverage seems pretty low though, I think they demand coverage of 50 mil here per law, in case you crash into a truck which then causes a highway bridge to collapse or other similar likely scenarios.

#14 2014-04-25 15:09:35

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

I'm not sure about the upper limits of my policy, but I do know the $1mil is a blanket liability that covers what I'm driving (if not owned) as well as whatever I might hit, versus the much smaller at-fault minimums in Texas (the current minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident), it's a standard garage keeper's policy here in Texas. But keep in mind that individuals can be sued and prosecuted for lapses in coverages/cost, not sure if that's so in Germany.

#15 2014-05-26 12:55:21

2na

Convertibles are the shit, what can I say?

I hope you like me and I fit in with your life.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer