#26 2016-06-17 14:16:51

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Re: Top Gear

LOL, I haven't even had time to watch. I'm sure I'd much rather watch The Office for the umpteenth time than any new Top Gear, though.

I don't even think Not-Top-Gear on Amazon with the trio will be good. I think it'll be the same pandering bullshit the BBC has pushed for a decade now.

On the other hand, Ameer had me watch some behind-the-scenes thing (akin to 'Talking Bad' that aired after each Breaking Bad w/ the directors commenting, etc) and it had one of the new presenters going really in depth into the technical specs of whatever car he was driving. That was interesting. Why can't Top Gear be like that?!?!?!?!

tonymanero-1.gifTICJHg8.giftonymanero-1.gif

#27 2016-06-17 14:52:59

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

I know, right? They hired Rory Reid, AKA the guy from Youtube who lifts cars off the ground with sellotape and Chris Harris, a quite well spoken motoring journalist, two guys perfectly suited to Top Gear. Then they have them stuck on the aftershow for the first two weeks and when they finally do come out, their time to actually talk about cars (Harris' segment on Ferrari was OKAY.) is paltry compared to the time devoted to a rubbish Ken Block gymkana "comedy" segment where he drives Leblanc around London very fast and does some skids and it basically feels like a tourism film. Especially awkward at a time when I think most of the british public would rather London had a second great fire.

I am hatewatching this thing, but I wanted it to be good!

Insane universally negative reactions towards things often have me rooting for them. Like the Robocop remake (which was boring, but didn't offend me beyond it's comparatively regressive attitude towards women (Lewis is a guy instead of a badass chick! The only important woman in the film is a nagging housewife!)) I'm rooting for the new Ghostbusters to be at least watchable, despite the fact that, yes, it looks a bit crap (the comedy pedigree behind and in front of the camera is actually quite good).

Top Gear was the same. Wanted it to win against the odds. It let me down.

#28 2016-06-18 13:59:45

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

Tried to watch ep3. Turns out I *did* see ep2, but it was so bad I blanked it from memory.

The yellow Ferrari bit was cool - (btw that car is gorgeous!) - the history with the Tour de France, etc. was interesting. But outside of those five minutes it was deplorable. Also they're plugging trailers now? Ugh.

#29 2016-07-08 11:54:58

Meklo
| Dwi'n Yma O Hyd | :.
Website

Chris Evans has gone. All is well with the world again. smile

I see infinite constraints only bound by their conception ::.. .  .   .

#30 2016-08-01 22:29:56

[deleted]
Still MOD-elect
Website

New shows I've fallen in love with -

HBO's 'Vice Principals': first episode made me think "meh, it's just Danny McBride being Danny McBride, I'd rather more Eastbound and Down, but whatever". Second episode - "holy shit, this is so much more, WHEN CAN I SEE MORE?!"

HBO's 'Ballers' - WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I START WATCHING THIS SOONER?! The Rock is NOT sweaty and a surprisingly, legitimately good actor. Ensemble cast is great, stories are great, can't watch it enough. Plus the cars are gravy to look at.

#31 2016-08-01 23:08:11

Maindrian
Second Place Gaymo

Preacher's done. Now I need a new TV fix. I'm going to blast through that Stranger Things thing on Netflix at some point, it looks fun.

Turns out the new Star Trek is one continuous story arc stretched out over the length of the series. I called that one. Oh well, at least the new film was good.

#32 2017-06-01 14:47:14

ReidHal

it just seems way to scripted.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a spambot?

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer